(Not the usual) Gift Cards Options:I love giving gift cards that people can do instead of buy. Here are some of my go-to’s.
- Fitness Center
- Bowling Alley
- Skating Rink
- Amusement Park
- Laser Tag
- Miniature Golf
- River Rafting
- Local Tourist Activities
RentalsDid you know you can rent wives? I’m not saying that they are an appropriate holiday gift, just letting you know that you can rent just about everything -- camping gear, textbooks, even garden space. Rent a Kayak or canoe
- Rent a Bike
- Rent Snow Skis
- Rent Jet Skis
LessonsYou can give lessons for anything from business courses to life skills – for any age! Cooking
- Fly Fishing
- Art – painting or drawing
- Art – photography
- Classes at Community Centers
- Classes at Senior Centers
- Classes at Colleges or Trade Centers
TicketsA concert or sports tournament may be months away but that doesn’t mean that a pair of tickets tucked inside a stocking won’t be appreciated on Christmas morning. You can give tickets to see a superstar, a favorite team, or a movie or production at a local theater.
- Music Concert
- Home & Garden or Trade Specific Show
Personal Care ServicesLook past the typical massage for a gift and think about all the other personal care services options. I’ve given more than a few Mani/pedi gift cards and can’t tell you how much she (and he!) loved the gift!
- Fitness Trainer
- Makeup Artist
- Personal Stylist/Shopper
- Eyelash extensions
- Salon Services
Home ServicesJust about everyone can appreciate help with household tasks in some way or another. And the services can be tailored to their needs -- weekly, monthly or by the project.
- Lawn Care Services
- Snow Removal Services
- Errand Running/Delivery Service
- Transportation Services (taxi services, senior travel)
- Computer Geek Services
ToursCheck your local tourism office for what tours are available in your area. You might also find events like Wine Tasting Dinners or Beer Samplings.
- Food Tours
- Haunted House Tours
- Walking Tours
- Historical Tours
- Garden Tours
- Brewery Tours
“Of the Month” GiftsRetailers are getting more and more creative with these packaged goodies delivered monthly to recipient’s door. This gift will keep on coming throughout the year.
- Meals (one time only, weekly, and monthly plans)
Travel or Vacation GiftsGiving a get-away experience is ideal for people that aren’t tied down. Search out destination hotels or inns that offer more than just a convenient place to eat and sleep
This site has some great tips:
BasketsThere are plenty of websites out there that offer packaged gift baskets. But often you’re paying more for the packaging than what is in the basket. Make your own basket to stretch your budget and really personalize your gift.
For example, use organizing containers, 5-gallon buckets, tool bags, or reusable shopping bags as containers. Need some inspiration? Check here:
- Dinner Basket (i.e. Italian: Pasta, Sauce, and Wine)
- Snack Baskets (snack bars, fruit snacks, specialty chips & dips, great for families with kids)
- Beauty Basket (personal care items for men or women)
- Picnic Basket (decorative paper plates, napkins, plastic glasses/cups)
- Office Basket (pens, post-its, notepad, calendar)
- Date Night Basket (Restaurant gift card & Babysitter money)
- Outdoorsman’s Basket (nifty gadgets like flashlights, sporks, cool tools, bungee cords, tiedowns)
- Pet Basket (Pet toy & treats)
- Gardener’s Basket (Seeds, garden tools, garden gloves, hand cream)
- Men’s Car Care Basket (Car Cleaning supplies and drive-thru Car Wash Tokens)
- Sweet Lover’s Gourmet Food Basket (specialty cookies, candies, hot chocolate & cider mixes)
- Wine Lover’s Basket (wine, glasses, wine opener, cheese & crackers)
- Family Night Basket (game, popcorn, beverage, candy)
- Ice Cream Lover’s Basket (Sundae toppings, nuts, sprinkles, ice cream gift certificate)
Homemade GiftsWho doesn’t like a homemade gift? The list of possibilities is endless. But don’t overload your schedule with time-consuming projects. Do consider these if you have young children that can help with the activity.
- Frozen Cookie Dough (rolled in parchment paper with decorative bows)
- Frozen Meal
- Soup/Chili ingredients in a bag or jar
- Bath Salts
There you have it. Now grab a cup of coffee, sit down and your computer and purchase something that is sure to surprise and delight your loved one on Christmas morning.
Be sure to visit www.AlexisHartz.com throughout the year. You’re bound to find something that will make your life easier and more fulfilling.