Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Global Community

One of the very few disadvantages of being a workamper is not being part of a local community.  Since we rarely stay in one place more than a few months at most, there is really not time to solidify relationships the way permanent residents can. And, on the flip side, we're usually not at our legally identified permanent residences enough to practice the fine arts of friendship "at home".

However, we do share our own neighborly bonds. When I pull into a new location and park my rig, immediately I am part of the community where I am parked. We introduce ourselves, uncover some mutual interests, hobbies, or travel adventures, and from then on we are friends.  We eat together, we help each other, and watch out for each other. All differences are put aside and our commonalities become lasting bonds.

I've been processing new hires at Tempe Diablo Stadium for the Spring Training Baseball Season, and amidst all the paperwork and new faces I have the surprising and great joy of bumping into other returning "workampers" --- aka friends. We can't wait to spend time catching up on our adventures of the past year, and add more friends to our future traveling circles.

The new employees are mesmerized by our bonds, and as I scan their paperwork I see clues to how they will become part of our circles in the future. Workampers typically find work through common sources and employers, and besides where you are parked, these employment references are another one of our bonding commonalities. These employers are listed frequently in my pile of paperwork --- yippeee! -- that means more friends for all!

When I am at home alone in my coach, I can get really lonely thinking about all my loved ones, how far away they are, and how much I want to hear and see and touch them, and especially how I long for a permanent community.  But when I come face to face with my comrades of the road, I am reminded that even permanent communities have limited time together. I have to make the most of the present moment. Ahh, these bond of the heart are bittersweet, and thankfully, eternal.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment