Friday, January 25, 2013

Diggin' Out PLUS...

I shared the first steps in digging out of the snow in a recently published blog. Now you're going to get the rest of the story.


Shortly after I posed for this photo I enrolled the help of my eldest son to get the snow cleared and reposition the coach for departure. We charged the battery and in no time flat had that thing turned around and ready to go. 

The next morning I returned to the coach ready to head to the land of the SUN.  Cat jumped out of the car and immediately assumed her traveling position -- hunkered down in the pillows on the bed. 

I settled into the driver's seat, turned the key, and wah-la, nothing happened.  The unseasonably cold night had zapped what little charge there was in the battery.  The upside: I would finally be able to use the Road Side Service included in my insurance policy.

I made arrangements with Wayne of Bo Dean's Repair Service to come out and charge me up.  In the meantime, I hurry to Durango (a 20-minute drive), buy a battery, and make it back in time for Wayne to help me out.  

Wish I had a photo of him ---- good lookin', tall, dressed in brand new black Carhartt coveralls --- who doesn't like a man in spankin' new clean Carhartt's?! And that mountain-man sweet talk that came out of his mouth was just what I needed to take the edge off my departure delay. Well, I digress. Back to the story.

Anyway, Wayne helps me with the battery --- which turns out to be the wrong kind of battery for the coach. Yipee, I get to go back to Durango to get the right one, and Wayne leaves for the day.

Now we are on day 2 of trying to leave. . . I install the new battery. Confidently I get into driver's seat, turn the key, and again, nothing.  (Did I mention that we are still having extremely cold temperatures?)

I head back into town and check in with Wayne. The guys in the shop help me through my options: could be a starter --- "Did you bang on the starter with a hammer? Sometimes that solves the problem."

"Can you start your generator? Sometimes if your house batteries are charged you can start your generator and then start the engine off of that."

"You can get it towed here and we can help you with it."

Now, mind you, although the coach is positioned and ready to go out of the parking lot, I still have to maneuver it down a 1/2 mile of snow-packed, slippery, curvy country driveway. There is no way to tow the coach out of there.

I call my Road Side Service again to request another battery jump. Oh so sorry, we only allow one. After that you must have it towed.

Hmmmm........ok. What now?

I drive to a friend's house, settle down with a nice cup of tea and begin calling mobile repair services, praying that I will find one sweet soul that will come out and fix my coach, in the snow, in the single-digit temperatures. After a dozen calls, I finally find one that agrees to the challenge and will be out  . . . in 10 days! 

Surrendering to my stranded status I return to the coach to pick up my Cat. Yes, she's still in traveling position, hunkered down in the pillows and chilled to the bone. I decide to make one last attempt to turn the ignition key. . . . and wah-la, what do you know, it starts! The engine is running!!!

Hmmmm........ok. What now?

Stranded status just changed.  I'm free to leave and do just that.

BUT, the adventures for this relocation has just begun.... tune in for Part 2 tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment