Friday, November 5, 2010

Simple Comforts

I'm craving a road trip today.  The coach has been sitting in one place too long, especially for a vehicle with wheels instead of legs. But none of my trip options are quite making sense yet, so I'll practice cherishing the simple comforts of day instead.

I took a long walk through town today --- over the river and through the neighborhoods.  (Hey, where did all the deer go?  Not one to be found today.)  On nearly every block I passed a house where I had visited a friend at one time or another, who I had worked with, or met to share a great meal, or together celebrated a special celebration, or just appreciated some good company every now and then.

So much of who I am is wrapped up in those memories.  Years of relationships, parenting, working, and relocating have buried that pure spirit.  Over 25 years later I am on a quest to revive her.  No wonder I am in this place now.  No wonder I find comfort in the sounds of the river and the blue sky over the snow crested peaks surrounding the familiar streets.  This is home to me. The greatest of simple comforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment