Monday, November 8, 2010

Overcast


It's not the weather, I always look like this.
 The last of the sunny blue sky is fading into the east, and the grey cast of impending snow showers is upon the park.  Deer are gallivanting through the grassy meadows surrounding our tin-dominiums, they are so at home here with us two-legged creatures.

It's four in the afternoon and it's looking particularly dark overhead.  I have to remind myself that darkness will fall an hour earlier tonight. Yesterday I arrived at church halfway through the first service, thinking I was only a few minutes late for the second service, until I was reminded of the time change on to Daylight Savings Time --- or off of it. They don't change the time where I come from so I'm not sure which is the case.

Whatever benefit this human-inspired-time-control offers to our race surely doesn't take into account the emotional lows produced by a 4pm sunset on a cloudy day. They don't have these where I come from either.

Don't get excited, I'm not claiming depression of any sort.  I'm simply observing how my moods and the cat's are affected in our new "daylight" experience.  She has been in deep napping mode all day long --- paws tucked into her head, and head buried as far into her belly as possible.  Her incessant cries to go out and explore have been silenced, and she is content to hibernate inside today. Maybe the bears have the right idea, though this is as close to a cave as I'll get for the winter months! (Do I hear a sigh of relief from some of you?!?!?)

Mostly my mind is blank today -- taking in the stillness of the sky.  It's calming to me.  Like God has pulled a blanket over the sky, and is bidding us to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment