Tuesday, October 19, 2010

They're Not Ax Murderers

Last Friday, after a week of enjoying a mini-vacation in Durango, I decided to seek out someone who might need help.  (After all, that is part of the travel plans.)  I stopped by the Soup Kitchen and committed myself to a week of service which began yesterday. ---- More on that later.

Anyway, after my shift today my neighbor knocked on my door and ordered me to come over and "talk rv" with him and his wife.  Before I had my thongs on he was not headed back to his rv as I expected, but rather to the opposite side of mine where he quickly openend all of my utility compartments.  By that time his wife was introducing herself and looking over his shoulder, commenting to each other about my set-up.Without hesitation he began undoing hoses and cords and pipes and reconnecting them through the appropriate lower openings.  When he got to the waste pipes, he offered the lead to her, and as she adjusted the fittings, she turned to me and proudly announced that she is the "Potty Expert"!

I had met him the day before while we were both having our propane tanks filled. In the RV Park, the local gas company truck circles the driveways between the motorhomes like an ice cream truck jingles through the neighborhood, looking for kids standing at edge of their yards waiting for the truck to the arrive.  Soooo, we're a little older, and it's heat, not ice that we're waiting for. Nevertheless, we're at our curbs, flagging him down. 

Anyway, back to today.  They continued my lessons with how to fill my traveling water tank, how to empty my traveling water tank, and how much water to keep in my traveling water tank while traveling to get the best gas mileage, and still have all the comforts of home readily accessible.

Then we were on to practicing maneuvers with the awning.  They shared the story of how they lost one on the highway one time --- which apparently is a fairly common occurrence since the guy that sold me my rv told me he had the same experience in his previous rv.  They were impressed by the Harley jewelry he had attached to my rig for added security, but suggested that I still purchase some velcro straps to hold the awning frame close to the vehicle during those windy days on the highway.  (Sounds like a design problem to me!)

Finally, after assuring them three times that I didn't need help with anything else, they invited me to their rig. I knew it was going to be nice -- 4 pop-outs and shinny new (2-3 years old), it was beautiful inside.  I hardly felt like I was in an rv --- cherry cabinets, flat screen tv, as wide as a standard hotel room.  Even the steering wheel was disguised with a cloth covered table where photos of the grandkids and an antique lamp were displayed.

Well, we talked about the best clubs to join, the best ways to learn about the rig, and road travel, and places to stay, where they had been, sharing our common interests (including garage sale-ing), where we were both going, and notes on local restaurants.  We exchanged cards and promised to keep in touch.  They're "pulling out" in the morning to head back to their home in Denton, Texas.

Sweet, sweet people.. . . . not ax murderers.  I have a feeling there's going to be many more of their kind along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment