Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm out!

 I’m finally on the road.  My first goal is to get out of the valley.
Not sure if you know or not, but Phoenix is in the heart of the “Valley of the Sun”.  It’s not apparent at first, but shortly into the drive you realized that you’re climbing a series of large hills that will bring you to an elevation above 6,000 feet in just over 2 hours. 

The highway is dotted with caution signs: slow down for sharp curves, steep grades, and my favorite -- particularly on a hot summer day--  “Turn air conditioning off to avoid over heating.”

I’ve traveled that road so many times in the past 20 years that those signs are a blur as I zip past at 80mph, my greatest fear is a high-priced speeding ticket.  

Today is different.  As I climb those hills the engine revs to a maximum speed of 45mph, and as I glide down them I am challenged to keep the coach at 45mph.  Cars are lined up behind me on the way up, and wizzing by me on the way down.

I’m an inconvenience, and I know it. 

I spend 5 hours driving what typically takes me about 3 ½.  Not bad considering my novice status.  My goal for today has been accomplished.

The day ends with a quiet campsite and an equally quiet sunset.  I will rest well.

Tomorrow's roads will be easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment