Thursday, February 14, 2013

A No-Fail Investment Strategy

Invitations to stay at friends' homes for extended stays are continually coming my way.  One even prefaced it, "If you want to stay in a real house.....".  How ironic.  She lives in an apartment.

I've heard others speak poorly about people who live in "homes on wheels".  Some do live in motor homes because it is their only option for shelter.  However, for most of us that is not the case.

We choose this living arrangement because of the great opportunities it offers. Traveling the country, meeting people, and other experiences beyond what we can find in our permanent residences are abundant.  In fact, so much so that, within a few years of being on the road, a great majority of us gladly give up our permanent home bases.

Phoenix was my home for over 20 years before I hit the road. Being back here to work the Spring Training Baseball Season has really made me appreciate how much this traveling lifestyle has done for me. I've gained confidence and friends and experiences well beyond what I ever imagined possible.

Of course I'm not saying that I couldn't have all that without living on the road. There are plenty of people that live in beautiful houses and have very rich, fulfilling lives. What I am saying is that it's the experiences that make it so, not the house. Even a house does not become a home until the experiences within its walls make it so.

Outward appearances may make some pity me, question my sanity, or offer jobs and shelter that would increase my bank accounts and provide luxurious living quarters. But, quite honestly, I have never felt more richly blessed than I have in the years I have lived in this, my dream home.

The decisions about where I will live and how I will spend my money are based on the experiences I will gain in the process. Learning a new skill, making new friends, spending cherished precious minutes with family are no-fail investments. It's where I'll put my money every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment